You may ask yourself, “When should I make a parfait? When would that be an appropriate course of action to take?” Well, the main answer to this question is whenever you want to treat yourself to something that looks fancy or when you want to impress your friends with something that looks fancy (but is still easy to make).
This may or may not surprise you, but…
I am among the hundreds of thousands of Americans who eat yogurt almost every day. This daily plastic cup of yogurt is not a treat to myself. You see, a parfait makes yogurt an EVENT. Notice above the decorative straw that I immediately and wastefully threw away after this photo because you can’t drink yogurt through a STRAW! If you ate yogurt every day like me then you’d know that.
The layers of a parfait (simply a layered treat in a tall glass) usually consist of a creamy thing such as yogurt or pudding, one or more varieties of fruit and some sort of grain or crunchy thing like granola or graham cracker crumbs. Whipped cream is a welcome addition to any parfait. I ate my parfait for breakfast, but depending on the ingredients they can also be a healthy but still satisfying dessert.
I will now share with you some parfait designs of my own including the one I made. I got the idea for brown sugar, nuts and yogurt from a cookbook my former roommate, Mary, got me called “I ❤ Sugar” but I strangely can’t find it anywhere on the internet to show you.
Parfait I made: You can make a slideshow, whatttttt??????
- Pictured above: banilla yogurt, dark brown sugar, walnuts, coconut, whipped cream, granola
- The classic strawberry, blueberry, vanilla yogurt, granola. They sell this at McDonald’s. That’s why it’s classic.
- Strawberry, banana, vanilla yogurt, granola
- Pineapple, banana, coconut, vanilla yogurt, graham cracker crumbs aka pina colada, yes?
- Strawberries or raspberries, hot fudge, vanilla yogurt or pudding, graham crackers
- Blueberry, white chocolate pudding, graham cracker crumbs
- Mango, kiwi, almonds, strawberry yogurt
- Coconut, hot fudge, walnuts, graham cracker crumbs, butterscotch pudding- seven layer style yeahhhh
- Sliced peaches, honey, granola, vanilla yogurt
- Blackberries, granola, lemon yogurt or vanilla yogurt with 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest and 1 tablespoon lemon juice according to Tyler Florence
I hope this post inspires you to make a parfait. For fun.